Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sing me a song

So I saw Jill's blog about songs of her summer. And I liked it. So I stole it.

1. "You Learn" by Alanis Morissette: I find myself humming this quite often. I'm a big fan of Alanis. She's like your basic "super-chick". And she dated hot Ryan Reynolds. Hollah!
"I recommend getting your heart trampled on to anyone. . .Wait until the dust settles"

2. "Picture to Burn" by Taylor Swift:
"I hate that stupid old pickup truck
You never let me drive
You're a redneck heartbreak
Who's really bad at lying
So watch me strike a match
On all my wasted time
As far as I'm concerned you're
Just another picture to burn"

Need I say more? Probably not.

3. "Untamed" by Gavin DeGraw: What do I love about this song? First of all, I love the singer/songwriter piano style of Mr Gavin. And I love his sexy voice. And this song just rocks. It's about somebody screwing with you and making you feel all tied down and crazy-like.

4. "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay: Let's be honest. I don't know what this song means. But I love the strings! And Chris Martin is just awesome.

5. "Cheers Darlin" by Damien Rice: This is kind of the song of 2008 for me. If you haven't noticed a theme-I am an angry girl. Actually, I've kind of passed the angry stage and moved myself into a nice realm of sarcasm and ridiculous laughing. But for the angry moments in life, this song is great. It reaks of that poiniant sarcasm that stings so much, but feels so good. And it's kinda blues-ey. If you're angry at someone, listen to this song.
Cheers darlin' - Here's to you and your lover boy
Cheers darlin' - I got years to wait around for you
Cheers darlin' - I've got your wedding bells in my ear
Cheers darlin' - You give me three cigarettes to smoke my tears away

What am I darlin'?
A whisper in your ear?
A piece of your cake?
What am I, darlin?
The boy you can fear?
Or your biggest mistake?

6. "The Call" by Regina Spektor: This was the song at the end of Prince Caspian. It gives me the chills. The lyrics can be very symbolic or very to-the-point. Both cases, I really like them. Kind of a nice and comforting thought when faced with change: "I'll come back when you call me. No need to say goodbye."

7. "Piece of my Heart" by Janis Joplin: Let's face it. This is the song of my life. I'm pretty sure it will be played at every major event in my life: my wedding, funeral, I will probably use that song to sing to my child in the womb and play it during childbirth.

Those of you that know me, I think you realize that I am not a hardnosed feminist-like person who hates men and wants more power. I'm not full of hatred and bitterness, and I try to be of good faith. Looking at this list, maybe not.

Here's to the men we love.
Here's to the men who love us.
But since the men we love aren't the men who love us,
Screw those damn men
Here's to us!

In the words of the Spice Girls: GIRL POWER!

2 comments:

jill said...

i heart alanis too, i like your list.

Megs said...

whatever, we all know your haggish ideas.. haha... My tunes o' the summer would also include that Coldplay song.. which by the way, means "I live the Life" or something like that in Spanish.... at least that is my translation. Mine would also have to include some Celin Dion slash Mariah Carey... oh oh oh and of course Jason mmmmmraz... mmm.. I love Jason!