Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy Anniversary, Blind Jake

Ok, so Jake really isn't his name. But I feel like I can't really use his name-even though he would never read this. . . because he can't read the screen.

Anyway, a year ago today, I went on a date to the fireworks with a blind young man. On our first and only date, I learned how to lead a blind person thru the city of Logan without making him fall, I learned how to describe what fireworks look like, I learned that it is not romantic at all when a person feels your face and asks "What color are your eyes?" (unless I suppose, it's val kilmer) and among many other things, I learned how humiliating it is to say "That's not my shoulder" when blind jake put his hand on my. . . not my shoulder.

Oh what a night at the stadium. Ray Charles sang "America the Beautiful" as tears ran down my face- tears of humiliation and a wee bit of irony. Ray Charles was blind too.

So tonight, as I go to this social event- I will remember that no matter what goes wrong, it will not be July 3, 2007.

Blind Jake, I am sorry that I have been a coward all of these 364 days. You are a good person, and I am lacking in that department. You and Huck will find a very nice piano player. Maybe she will be flat-chested, it will save many awkward moments. Remember to be polite and ask her questions about herself. Remember to be patient with her, not everyone knows to stop before the step. Perhaps give her some simple directions to start with. She would feel badly if you were to fall. But she does not want to feel stupid. Also, on a first date, remember to be courteous of her space. She is not used to people touching her face. In any event, thank you for the memorable evening. I wish you all the best in the future. Keep playing the guitar! It's really cool! I've been trying for 4 years now. God Bless America.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Sarah my love! I needed to relive that story! And you tell it so well! We really should look into co-writing a book. It would be hilrious I'm sure ...a great best-seller. I laughed until my sides hurt! I will never forget when you came home and said, so I have a date ...to the fireworks ...and he's blind ...I don't know what to do with that! Wasn't this right around the same time you went out with the deaf guy too? Ah, good times :) Love and miss you lots!

Megs said...

have an idea... we should.... all of us... put together an awesome blog full of dating stories, the good, the bad, the walking down the mountain at night because the LHT ( lame HT) won't give a ride..... and everything in between... I think my friends would offer some fantastic snarky insights, as would you, Jill, Christin, Toni etc.. what do you think? Obviously it would be a private blog...

Kelly Jean said...

Ha ha ha. That's too funny.

Christin Bott said...

OK, you seriously got an LOL on that one. In fact, i was laughing so hard my receptionist came in to find out what was so funny and of course, i had to read it to her. Love it!